Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Shower, Swelling And A Banana

Baby girl, we are at least halfway there (if not over the halfway mark, depending on how long they let me go!).  What a busy week we've had!  You have made your presence known by literally feeling like a bowling ball in my belly lately!  For 2-3 days I had a constant feeling of pressure in my lower tummy.  I assume this was because you are growing away in there, since this is your big growth spurt stage.  Here's a little more about you this week:

You are about 6.5 inches and weighs around 10.5 ounces (almost a pound - woot woot!).  You are now measured from head to toes, instead of head to rump, since you can lengthen your legs now.  And that means from your head to your toes you are the length of the average banana!  Your rapid growth stage is just about over. While things have slowed down, this next stage is vital to survival. Your heart grows stronger and stronger this week too. "They" say that I may be able to distinguish between your heartbeat and mine at this point by putting my hand on my belly while finding my own with the other hand at the same time.  I'll just use the doppler though, much easier! Your legs are reaching their relative size. And with the increase muscle development occurring as well, I am supposed to start feeling much more than tiny flutter kicks soon...although I have an anterior placenta, so I am preparing not to really feel much for another couple weeks.

Immunities are being transferred from me to you now. These immune cells will protect you from viruses I've already had for up to six months after birth!  Crazy, eh?! The nerve cells for taste, smell, hearing, seeing, and touch are now developing in specialized areas of the brain. Production slows down as existing nerve cells grow larger and make more complex connections. You may startle in reaction to loud sounds. Amazingly, you can actually hear noises outside of the womb. Familiar voices, music, and sounds you become accustomed to during you development stages often are calming after birth.  "They" tell me that you probably recognize my voice...and Daddy's too!

Your mommy's belly, is, well....out there!  I think coming to Colorado really made it stick out more!  And as much as this is what I have been waiting for, it's still a strange thing to see my body changing like this...I almost can't still believe that this is really happening!  The outfit I wore at the shower your Aunts and Uncles had for you really, REALLY made me look like the pregnant mama that I am!  Whew!  It's like it all came out of the blue from one day to the next.  It makes sense with the weird pressure I have had this week and all the growth you are having...still surreal for your Mommy!

Your mommy has also had her first bout with swelling.  Right after we got to Colorado last week, my feet were all swollen up from the car ride.  Your sister's were too (and she normally has BONEY feet - so she looked a little funny!).  I didn't worry too much about it then, after I had my feet up a while and had a good night's sleep, they were back to normal.  Yesterday, though, I noticed during dinner that the swelling was back.  I had been on my feet a lot that day, I guess.  Luckily, it's just the tops and sides of my feet (no more knobby, boney thing on the outside of the foot!).  It's not my ankles at this point.  I called the doctor today and talked to a nurse and she thinks it's just normal pregnancy stuff...not anything diabetes related.  Luckily, your Daddy and I bought a blood pressure cuff and brought it with us, so I know my blood pressure has been great (104/61), and I told the nurse that too.  Also told her it was just the tops of my feet with no other symptoms...so it's just pregnancy stuff.  I'm just a little worried about the drive home...I may have to invest in some stockings to wear to keep the swelling down during the drive.  I did have a weird blood sugar day yesterday too - two times I was in the 200's - which never happens...and it's not explainable (not that it usually is!).  Today has been great though...my increase in basals have basically done it's job.

Enough of that Debbie Downer stuff...the fun stuff of this week is that we had our first shower for you!  Your Aunt Rhonda and Uncle Kenny really went all out and had all the family over here in Colorado for a cookout.  Your Aunts and Uncles all brought some gifts for you too!  We got so many cute clothes for you, as well as some adorable hooded towels and washclothes, some cute little mittens so you don't scratch yourself and even some diapers!  We can't wait to use them all on you!  We had such a good time, and it was great to have everyone together!  They were all so generous...you are already spoiled!  Here are a few of the things we got for you.


The most yummy cake EVER!
A cute sleeper from your Aunt Nora (and Uncle Joe, JD, and Cameron)

Another ADORABLE outfit from your Aunt Nora (and Uncle Joe, JD, and Cameron)

A newborn onesie from your Grandma Frances...and the best part of it is.....................

there are ruffles on the bum!  I am IN LOVE with outfits with ruffles on the bum!

Really cute hooded towels and washcloths from your Aunt Soila (and Uncle Manual, Andrew and BJ)

From your Aunt Rhonda (and Uncle Kenny, Zach and Bailey) - have to admit this is one of my favorites - just read it.  =)

I love little sister outfits too!  Also from your Aunt Rhonda (and Uncle Kenny, Zach, and Bailey)

How cute is this from your Grandma? 


And for the grand finale today, I'm going to post my 20 week belly picture...as well as the 16 week one so you can see how big you are getting!


16 weeks
20 weeks

I think that's about it for now, little baby girl.  We love you so much!  I can't believe we are already over halfway there...I'm hoping this half goes even faster!  We can't wait to hold you, smell you, kiss you and just plain love on you!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dani - I keep up with your blog - love the pictures - the time is flying by. I'm busy knitting a blanket but does it EVER get cold out there???? Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunt Susie...yes! Believe it or not, it does get cold...especially right when she will be born (Dec through Feb). It gets into the 40's at night...sometimes just the 30's even. And with no humidity, even 50 is pretty chilly during the day. Can't wait to see it! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such cute outfits! Love the belly. It will be so weird to see you with the preggers belly!

    ReplyDelete