Wednesday, May 19, 2010

11 Weeks!!!! (and one day, technically)

My sweet baby...we are now at 11 weeks! So much has been going on around here - with you, with your sisters, with me....we've been busy! Here's what's going on with you!

Your crown-to-rump length should be anywhere from 1.25 to 2 inches. Your weight anywhere from 5 - 8 grams at this point. Your growth is phenomenal now and your length will double in the next three weeks. Sorry to say this, but your head is grossly out of proportion to your body and is almost half of the your length. Don't worry, everything will even out soon!


This last week was the last of the embryonic period. From now on, you will be called a fetus (I'll just call you baby though, fetus sounds a too...well...scientific-ish)! Your fingernails appear this week! External genitalia are beginning to show distinguishing features on you and the development of male or female will be complete in three weeks. My placenta's blood vessels increase to provide you with the nutrients and oxygen you need for continued growth. Your ears are gradually moving from the neck towards the sides of your head. Inside of your abdomen, intestines are developing. Because the intestines are so large, some of them project into the umbilical cord and they will return to the abdomen within the next week or two.

At the size of a small lime (Woohoo!  Another graduation on the fruit hierarchy!), you are now able to swallow. The urinary system functions.  And get this...you swallow and urinate the amniotic fluid and the fluid is continually replaced (I guess I could've lived my whole life without thinking about you swallowing your own pee!). You are kicking (and we saw you last week kicking away!) but I cannot feel it yet (darn it!). All vital organs are formed and, for the most part, function normally (How cool is that?  All the hard work is over! Yeah, right.). From now on, they will grow in size and efficiency.

As a preparation for breastfeeding, you have now learned how to swallow. You swallow amniotic fluid in the uterus. Which includes, as we learned above, pee.  Super.

I can defnitely feel you growing!  My tummy's muscles are still sore at night and I think I am getting hungrier too.  Oh, and, your Mommy is growing out of her clothes.  Just in the last week I have really noticed that clothes are becoming an issue.  Thank goodness for babydoll type of shirts and dresses.  But, luckily your Daddy knew of a consignment store that sells used maternity clothes.  And we all cleaned out our closets last weekend and took in our unwanted clothes, so we got a pretty good credit there to use.  I now have some maternity clothes, and am very thankful, but at the same time feel like I shouldn't be in maternity clothes already.  But after sliding on pants with an elastic waistband instead of trying to button those old capris of mine...that feeling quickly goes away in the sheer comfort of the moment!  And I really got some cute maternity clothes too...so that definitely helps!  I rearranged my closet and pulled out clothes that I would still be able to wear through some of you being in my belly...not a lot...but I do have some.  I am so thankful that a lot of the styles right now are A-line, babydoll, blousy shirts and dresses!

Your sisters are busy, busy with their last week or so of school...which means, lots of band concerts and choir concerts for us!  Megan had her band concert last night and your Daddy and I are continually amazed at how incredible a 7th grade band sounds.  They were really good!  I thought I was going to die by the end though because my butt and those bleachers don't mesh too well anymore!  Kyndall has her choir concert tonight and I love those concerts - they have various levels of choirs in the high school that we will hear.  They are always really good too.  And...thank goodness for small blessings...we get to sit on padded seats tonight!  =)  Your Daddy recorded Megan's band and will record Kyndall too...so one day, you'll get to see all of this!

So, of course you know that we listen to your heart beat now with our new toy.  I love it!  We listen at least once a day (okay, maybe I am a little addicted and it's a lot more than once a day!).  You know what I found out about you in the last couple of days?  You are a swimmer!  You swim from one side to another, and flip around.  We will get your heart beat, loud and strong, and then just like that...you are off swimming or turning around and it's gone.  You are already a busy body!  Your Daddy and I are looking into an external 3D/4D ultrasound place (not connected with my doctor's office) that will be able to give us these great pictures and video of you.  They recommend waiting until 26 weeks, which is mid-August.  What's even cooler is that if we set it up ahead of time, we can stream the ultrasound live over the internet, so your grandmas and grandpas, aunts, uncles, etc. can watch no matter where they are!  More to come on that...but these ultrasounds will show you in non-skeletor form, meaning, you will look like the little baby you really are instead!

Oh...and we get to fly to Illinois in a week to see family and go to cousin Jene' and Tom's wedding.  Super excited for this, although Daddy doesn't get to come (or your sisters) so I'll miss them a bunch.  But, I get to spend a ton of time with Mimi and Pa...your cousin's Kiara and Vera and Aunt Nikki and Uncle Ryan - plus see tons of other family members of yours - great grandmas and grandpas too! 

I am just amazed each day with you being in my belly and how relatively easy it's been (granted no morning sickness...that helps!).  But even with the diabetes, so far has been great...lots more to do and think about, but super manageable.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat!  And I give that glory all to God.  It is truly a miracle that I get to be so lucky to have you with me like this and feel you grow and hear your heart ticking.  I can only imagine how amazing it will be to feel you move.  I love you baby...only two more weeks until your 2nd trimester begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment