Thursday, June 3, 2010

Our Little Alien Baby!

So...as you know, we got to see you today!  The girls got to come with us, but unfortunately the ultrasound was just for heart tones (and I guess the tech wasn't feeling like splurging for more time) so we only got to see you for a couple minutes.  You were still there wiggling around.  The girls loved it.  =)  You were lying on your back, so the shots are straight shots to your face...which makes you look a bit like an alien!  Sorry...but it's true...with all the white bones showing through from your skull and nose and teeth.  Still cute...I'll take an alien baby any day as long as it's you!  You are definitely taking up more room in my uterus...not too much room left to swim in...which explains why you are generally always on one side of my tummy when we do your heart rate at home now.  You can see your head on the left (and skull!) and your cute little hands are up by your face...your belly makes a showing too...and then your toesies are on the right.  Here you are!


13 weeks 2 days - Heart rate 143 (you're slowing down - are you a boy?) =)

I love it!  Can't wait to see you more!  Oh...and that's the bad news.  =(  My next appointment isn't with an ultrasound in two weeks.  =(  I know, I know, I've been spoiled with being high-risk...so I've had 4-5 ultrasounds already and I'm only 13 weeks...but still...I kind of got used to it!  Oh well.  The rest of that bad news is that this means we won't find out your gender until the next scan (which is a full detailed scan) at 17 weeks....and that's a month away!!!!  Not sure your Daddy and I can wait that long!  At least the next scan is the detailed one...so we get to check out all of your parts and make sure you are healthy!

Luckily, Bobby and the girls left after that because I had to wait over an hour in the office room for the doctor (personally, I think they forgot about me!  I had to eventually flag someone down and then, bam...the doc was in the room right after that!).  Doesn't matter...I like my doctor's office.  So after the wait, I saw the doctor - it was a new one to me this time - it was a woman and she was pretty nice.  She had looked over my blood sugar numbers and suggested a little change to my basal, but that was it.  She told me that my A1C (that I got the results from last week) was awesome and if she could frame the blood sugar log sheet that they have me fill in and put it on the wall she would, because I guess no one else keeps track like that?  I don't know...I can't think of doing it any other way!  She also explained a test that I may want to have (your Daddy and I are not doing any of the chromosomal tests that are offered - you're ours no matter what!), but she did suggest this AFP test that checks more for neural tube defects, which can affect your brain and spine.  I have a bit higher chance of neural tube issues being diabetic...but hopefully with my hawk-like approach to my blood sugars that won't be even a slight issue!  I am going to research that a bit more and see if there's a point to it.  If there is no help I can give you before you come out of the womb...not sure there is a point to knowing there *could* be a chance early on.  I'll keep you updated.  =)  She also told me that in two weeks when I come in that I could ask for another A1C test to be ordered so I can get another look at that too.  I guess that's about it...she really thought I was doing well with my blood sugars...and that's always nice to hear from the doctor!

Well...Megan just helped me make dinner and it is almost done...so we are going to eat!  We can't wait until you are sitting at a little high chair with us at dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment