Tuesday, June 1, 2010

You're a Peach! No, really, you are - at least the size of a small one!

My baby!  You are another week older...and (depending on who you talk to) we are now in our 2nd trimester!  Woohoo!  Some say it doesn't start until next week...others say it started last week...so I'll just use this marker, since it seems most logical.  =)  A lot has happened in this last week!  The girls are out of school for the summer, I got my A1C (average blood sugar measurement for the last three months) back from the doc, and you and I went to Illinois and back!  First, here's what you did this week!

Your fingerprints have formed on your tiny fingertips, your veins and organs are clearly visible through your still-thin skin, and your body is starting to catch up with your head — which makes up just a third of your body size now. If you are a girl, you now have more than 2 million eggs in your ovaries. Wow!  You are almost 3 inches long (the size of a small peach - see, I told you!) and weighs nearly an ounce.

All twenty teeth have formed and are waiting under your gums, while you have begun to practice swallowing by taking in the surrounding amniotic fluid and passing it back in your urine. And you can smile too!!!!  Oh...and you may grow as much as an inch this week!

Your sisters are officially done with school and are starting summer mode!  Megan is taking a cooking class this week and she already made cream puffs...your Daddy and I got to taste them and they were good! We may be on to something here! Kyndall is thinking that she will be running cross country this fall, so she has a whole summer program to follow and has started running already too.  Your Daddy and I just booked a trip with some free Southwest miles to San Francisco in a couple weeks...which I think will be our last little mini-vacation together until you arrive!  Of course, we will have a family trip with the girls later in the summer and go to Colorado...but this one will be our little "babymoon".  =)

I got my blood drawn a week ago to get my hemoglobin A1C measured (just a fancy way of saying "average blood sugar over the last three months").  A non-diabetic person's A1C should be anywhere between 4.5 and 6.5.  My number was 6.5, which I should be happy with, I just am a little bummed because I thought it would be lower than that.  I just put so much work into testing my blood sugar, testing almost every hour, waking up in the middle of the night at least twice, etc. and paying such close attention to all of it that I really thought I'd be around 6.0.  But, what I have to remember is that I am in the "normal" person's range....which means that I have no more greater risks with you than a non-diabetic person and that is definitely something to celebrate.  I am sure I will get it a little lower the next time it's measured...so I'm not overly worried about it.  I have a doctor's appt. on Thursday, so we'll see what the doc says then.  And we get to see you!  Woot woot!  I'm going to call the doc's office tomorrow and see if it's okay to bring the girls with us to the ultrasound so that they can see you live on the big screen too!  Hopefully they let us!

And...as I'm sure you knew and felt...we went to Illinois last week.  Cousin Tom and Jene' got married and it was really a beautiful wedding and I/we got to see so many family members there!  I'm sure you felt all the hands on my barely-there belly!  Not only that, but I had several days with your cousins, Kiara and Vera...lots of good quality pool time with both of them!  Kiara and I listened to your heart beat a lot...she loved it.  Then, we would put the wand on her heart and listen to hers...we are unique and wonderful creations!  Hopefully I will get around to posting a couple pictures from the trip later this week.  The whole time was so much fun...got to spend time with Pa and Mimi, Aunt Nikki and Uncle Ryan...saw Grandma Betty, Grandma Carmie and Grandpa Bud...and then tons of other Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins.  They are all very excited to meet you!  The only bad thing about the trip was not having your Daddy and sisters with me.  I missed them so much and it was so good to come home to them yesterday!

I still listen to you on the fetal doppler a couple times a day, which I'm sure you know since you feel me pressing on you!  Your heart rate has gone down to usually around 150-155 now...which it is supposed to do.  It'll probably level off now around 145-150.  You seem to prefer my left side, although you are still swimming around a lot sometimes.  Your heart is loud and strong...I love listening.  Your Daddy missed you while you were gone and listening to your heart beat!

I want you to know what a blessing you are to us.  I pray that God has already tucked His love for Him in your heart so you will grow up with a strong love for the Lord.  I pray that your sisters love you entirely and don't have any jealousy - knowing that we love them just the same and find them so super special too.  I love you baby...can't wait to see you Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment