Tuesday, August 17, 2010

24 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you believe it?  I can't - it's already 24 weeks!  You are growing like a weed and kicking like a Kung Fu master!  And I love it all!

This is another big week for you, my magical growing baby! Just take a look at your checklist for this week: 1) ears: done; 2) fingernails: done; and 3) lungs walls: secreting “surfactant”. What’s that? Well, surfactant is sort of what it sounds like: a surface-activated fat whose main purpose is to assist the your little lungs during inflation (as in, filling with air, not getting more expensive). Just in case you’re curious, you are still breathing in amniotic fluid, preparing and rehearsing your lungs for an oxygen-filled life outside the womb. You should be weighing around 1.5 lbs or so and come in at 11-12 inches long. You, my little cutie-patootie, may even be a little more plump, but you aren't anywhere near the full baby-fatted cute-self that we get to eventually see!  Most of the “filling out” is coming up in that long awaited third trimester. Only a few weeks away from that! Woo-hoo! Get ready!

Your Mommy is feeling larger FOR SURE!  Sometimes your Daddy looks at me and goes, "Wow, babe...you're getting really pregnant!".  And he means that in a very good way.  I love looking pregnant...and even still, I "wow" my own self in the mirror!  Especially when I flip from looking at my body from the front angle and then turn to the side...I go from not prego to prego in a second! 

I have slowed down on the running - I think it's been a week or so since I got on the treadmill.  I have been biking instead (have a $5 bike we got from a garage sale a long time ago!), and I can get my heart rate up to a good level on that.  Plus, I can read a book while I pedal - nothing like multi-tasking to make me forget I'm working out!  And the awesome book I just read ("A Time to Dance" by Karen Kingsbury - the first book I have read by her and it WON'T be the last - got another one coming from the library already!) made the time bearable too.  I am more winded than I ever have been...I guess the belly helps with that.  I may try getting on the treadmill again here soon - this week I have not been motivated to work out for some reason - last week was great though.  I don't think I've skipped a week (doing at least 3 or more work outs a week) since I was pregnant with you!

Okay, let's talk about your kicking for a minute here....LOVE IT!  I am wondering if I am always going to love this, say, in like eight weeks from now?  Or, is this all so new to me that I feel like it could never get annoying?  Sometimes with how hard you have been kicking (and twisting and turning and dancing and rolling) in there I get a little nervous to what it's going to be like in several weeks from now!  Your Daddy has felt you several times, now we just need to get your Sisters to feel it too.  You seem to be getting on a schedule now - pretty active in the morning after I have my 1/2 Caff coffee, after each meal you squirm around a bit, then...at night before bed between 9-10pm you are on a roll (literally) again.  Oh, and if I have a full bladder, you like to dance on it...I get these weird pressure pushes every so often.  Some days (like yesterday and today so far) you are a little quieter...I feel you here and there...but I think either 1) I am so busy, being up and around that I don't sit long enough to notice your turning and twisting or 2) I have a feeling that you turn with your back to the front of my tummy sometimes and so your little legs and arms and towards the back instead of my tummy so I don't feel that same feeling.  Another new feeling is putting my hand to my belly and ever-so-slightly feeling your heart beat (I think).  I can definitely feel mine (since lately it feels like my heart has taken up a new residence in my gut since it's such a strong beat in my tummy!)....and it's not mine that I am feeling.  It is a very light rapid tapping.  Unless I am imagining it there...which is entirely possible too!

I am also feeling like all my insides are getting pushed upwards (for a very good cause!).  Like, someone took a big rubber band and put it right under my chest (and right above the top of you) and started squeezing.  My lungs, stomach and heart feel all scrunched together.  And I am sure that is probably exactly what's happening too!  Even my sinuses and head feel pushed on more, like the pushing up of all my organs is getting into my head too.  The oil slick of my skin seems to have lessened a bit - or that new powder I bought is masking the spring of oil instead.  Either way...works for me!

Your Sisters are back to school!  This week is always so busy and overwhelming for me - getting back into the routine, papers need signed, classes organized, more school supplies bought, etc.  Plus, Kyndall is in cross country this year, so we take her to practice at 5:15am each morning (and Saturdays, mind you!)...then Megan goes around 7:45am.  Today, Kyndall forgot her shoes (because she has to take a shower and get ready for school there after practice), so there was another trip to school at 7:15am for me.  And on Mondays and Wednesdays she has ANOTHER practice after school until 3:45pm.  Yikes...this girl is either going to waste away to nothing or collapse I think!  She loves it though...and as much as she had NEVER (I repeat, never) run in her life before this summer and so is battling a few injuries, she's really doing well with it!  Better than your Mommy would and I ran track all through Jr. High and High School!  We had a parent get together last weekend for cross country and even with Kyndall not being able to use her full potential yet because of the injuries, the coaches seem to be really impressed by her.  And that warms your Mommy's heart.  Because it's more than just her being a good runner - they see that she has drive and dedication to this sport - when no one is making her do any of this.  Megan just got a new hair cut (wish I had a picture to show you!) and looks absolutely adorable (like that's any different than normal though!).  She is pretty pumped about 8th grade - feels "cool" I think because she is the big dog on campus now at the Jr. High.  She was in basketball last year, but at this point it sounds like she is going to skip basketball and do a lot of clubs at school.  And that is a-okay with your Daddy and I - she did great for a year and tried it - it's not everyone's cup of tea.  She does have her old basketball coach for Math this year - so we'll see if Miss B can convince her to try out before the season starts.  Either way, we are just so happy to have them as our girls (and your Sisters!).  They are the best things ever....which makes me that much more excited to think about you all THREE being together finally.  Wow, baby girl, I can't wait!

Your Mommy and Daddy got some new "toys" this past weekend.  First, my laptop went  out a couple weeks ago...not good...but I managed without it for a while and made do.  We looked at new laptops, but everything just seemed too expensive for us right now.  Every so often I check a website (http://www.woot.com/), which has a deal a day and they had a little netbook for sale for a great deal.  We ordered it and got it in the mail the other day and I am typing on it right now!  So far, so great!  Here's the little thing....



It's a tiny little thing, isn't it?

And then, your Daddy has been really into finding old LP's lately (yes, these "forms of music" will be like 100 times removed from whatever we listen to music on when you are older...but living in this house, I have a feeling you will always know old school music and LP's).  We started in Colorado at an antique shop finding a couple cool albums...and now, we have found a few places around here that sell used albums.  Your Daddy's favorite albums we have found are The Commodores, Yaz, and Billy Joel Greatest Hits.  For me - my favs are the Footloose soundtrack (hello, your Mommy's favorite karaoke song is on there - and yes - you will be karaoking by the age of 2) and Top Gun soundtrack.  Oh, we even found Michael Jackson's Thriller album and it's in great shape too!  Here's a picture of your Daddy's new favorite thing to do!



Also, some of your Daddy's old friends, Shawn and Dorene sent us some cute clothes for you!   I had to take a few pictures and show off your stuff!  You are so spoiled already!


Could this get any cuter?  A tutu dress for you! I love tutus!


Little sleeper with ruffles down your chest and belly (and can you see the little feet look like you have pink strappy shoes on?).....and the best part is......

...the pants have ruffles on your bum!  And we all know that your Mommy loves ruffles on the bum (for you, not me!)

Last, but not least, my tummy pictures for the month.  I am going to post a bare belly one again this week...but this may be the last month for it...my belly is just a little too, well, big and weird looking nowadays when bared.  =)  So, I'll also post one with my tummy covered - how clothes are fitting me now - since there's no need to raise my shirt up anymore to know that I have a belly under there!  And, I my tummy looks super cute with clothes on!


This is an old one - 20 weeks


Here's your Mommy now!  Told you both you and I were growing like weeds!

And here's me with my belly covered...how I'd look walking down the street.  I seem waaaay smaller with clothes on for some reason!


Yes, my arms are above my head, because...well...it's really difficult trying to figure out where to put them for these belly pictures!


Little girlie...I love you sooooo much.  At 24 weeks you are now officially considered a viable baby (and have a greater than 50% chance of surviving if born today!), although you've been viable from Day 1 for your Daddy and I.  My love for you already amazes me.  I can't imagine how much stronger that will be once you are in our arms, grab on to our fingers with your little hand, coo and giggle at us, wear some of these amazingly adorable clothes (with ruffle bums!), and just begin to be you and snuggle up to us.  For now, this love is incredible and I am thoroughly enjoying every single day with you.  Kick me if you feel the same way.  Ooooh....good one.

1 comment:

  1. You look great! I thought your belly would be bigger at this point. I can't wait to see you in like 10 days! I get to see the belly/baby in person. Karen Kingsbury is GREAT! YOu need to read the series about the Baxter family. Love it!

    ReplyDelete