Thursday, August 26, 2010

Two Thumbs Up Today!

The back of a healthy eye

Hey baby girl...I got a little news I thought I would share.  I went to the ophthalmologist's office today and two good things happened.

First thumbs up - He didn't have to dilate my eyes!  This is a small victory in my eyes (no pun intended, wait...yeah, pun intended!)  because the dilation takes five hours to wear off.  This means that your Mommy is walking around (especially the first several hours) like there is an intense bright light shining on everything she comes in contact with - and that's with sunglasses on even!  And forget about trying to read anything up close.  Driving...yeah, another story too...probably shouldn't be doing that after I leave the office, but I always seem to make it home.  =)  Regardless of that, he didn't dilate my eyes today for the pictures he takes of the back of my eyes because he has a camera that would work without it (and my eyes were fairly dilated on their own in the dark) and because he doesn't like to give drugs (if not absolutely necessary) to pregnant mamas.  And as small as the dilation drops may seem, it was nice to have him concerned about that for us.  Plus, he got great pictures of the back of my eyes without them (just like he said he could!).  So, score one for team Mommy/Avery with this one!

Second thumbs up - The pictures of the back of my eyes (think a million tiny blood vessels running all over the place - see picture above) look 100% healthy.  This is a worrisome area for diabetics (especially since I am going on 24 years with this disease)...and now with being prego with you...I worry even more because of all the extra blood flow.  Prego diabetics eyes have a tendency to get worse just with pregnancy alone (even with really good control).  At my appointment a year ago, I actually even had a tiny bleeding spot (very, very mild retinopathy) that was completely healed up and gone.  Woohoo!  Healthy eyes also mean that I will have to issues giving birth to you vaginally, at least as far as the health of my eyes are concerned.

Good news Girlfriend!  Just thought I would share.  You have taken a couple days off of being super active in my belly (which always worries me a little and shouldn't...plus I have been super duper busy that last couple days, so maybe I just haven't felt you as much)...but today you are back kicking away like your old Kung Fu self!

We fly out tomorrow to see everyone in Illinois....can't wait for them all to touch my belly (you!).  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment