Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Surprise!!!!!

Well, good thing you came with me today to my CDE appointment because I had a quick sonogram that I didn't know they'd do! I kid, I kid.  And they could see you this time with just an external ultrasound, which means you are getting bigger my little blueberry! And you are bigger...and a great heartbeat again at 138! Love it that I got to see you today...made my day completely! Here you are at 7 weeks 1 day!


Okay, so not much to see (the screen in the office actually had a lot more detail than comes out on the picture - I could see the fetal pole/umbilical cord attaching you to my uterus, but you can't see it here).  Still...can definitely tell that you are growing!

So, I met with my Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) for the first time today.  A little nervous that she wouldn't be up to par...but she was!  I really liked her a lot!  She's going to help me take good care of you!  And there will be another one too that I will be meeting with at times and the other one (Val, I think) is better at insulin pumping stuff so I may be seeing her a lot.  I am hoping to get a new insulin pump (my warranty is up in a couple days).  Typically, at the end of the warranty period, you get a new one...and it's kind of exciting since there's always new technology.  And this time is no different.  Now, with a pump, they have combined a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system (which is like taking your blood sugar on a meter every 15 minutes or so - and alerts you when your numbers are out of range - low or high - but it's always connected to your skin doing these readings).  So, as far as I understand, the pump now works with the CGM, so when you have a high reading on the CGM it will "talk" to the pump and based on a gazillion different algorithims (and other details that I cannot begin to understand how the smart pump people make it all work) it will deliver an amount of insulin to bring the high number back into range.   Whew!  Did you get all that?  All that to say, this is the newest pump out there and the CGM is something I was very much interested in, since I knew I was prego with you because it just allows so much more information, which equals better control, which means a healthy you!  So, now that this is my option, it's just a matter of insurance approving...this will all take a week or two, but keep your fingers (or nubs at this point I guess!) crossed...this would be an amazing thing to have while you are in my belly.  The CDE today is very much for CGM's for diabetic prego ladies...so it should sail right through their office when the pump company calls to ask for a prescription.  Good news there! 

She told me a lot of things today.  Gave her my blood sugars for the past couple weeks and thought we could tighten them a bit.  And she's not as much worried about high's...she wants to work on my lows.  Which was different than what you normally hear in the Diabetes/Pregnancy World...but refreshing and understandable at the same time.  It calmed my fears about having a high number here or there...her goal is consistency - so if we could raise the average number just a bit, but keep it more consistent, that would be their goal for me.  This means spreading my carbs out through my day a bit more evenly - six meals with 30-45g of carbs at each meal.  Completely do-able and willing to try.  I was a little nervous about my blood sugar numbers and a few of the highs and she said, "You know, I'd love to have your numbers a little more consistent, so there are improvements that can be made - and there always is for everyone - BUT, if each patient was like you, I wouldn't have a job!"  Hello!  That made my day!

So, I just need to work on spreading carbs out and trying to have my lows be at the lowest 70 and not more than 110 before a meal...and even keeping it more towards 100.  After I work on that, we'll go from there!  And if I get the new pump with the CGM, that will be so much easier of a task too!

Next up, doctor's appointment next week on Thursday - I think it's with the same nice doctor from last week.  And, another ultrasound...I guess I get those everytime I step into the office, regardless of what kind of visit it is!  Works for me...I'll get to see you every 1-2 weeks...how cool is that?

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad things are still going well and that you like your CDE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog Dani - I look forward to the updates on "little blueberry"!!!!
    Aunt Susie

    ReplyDelete