Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Week 7 Little One, Week 7!!!!

So, little one, we are almost to two months!  Yay!  And you have been treating me the absolute best so far (keep it up!)...I don't feel sick at all.  I maybe feel a little hungrier and tired, but that's it!  I think God knows that I have a lot on my hands with managing these blood sugars, so He's being extra nice to me with all the other stuff.  =)  I'd like to think so anyway! 

So, I thought I'd share a little about you at Week 7:

The big news this week: your hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs — although they look more like paddles at this point than the tiny, pudgy extremities I've been daydreaming about holding and tickling. Technically, you are still considered an embryo and you even have something of a small tail, which is an extension of your tailbone. Luckily, this tail of yours will disappear within a few weeks, but that's the only thing getting smaller. You have doubled in size since last week and now measures half an inch long, about the size of a blueberry!


If I could see inside my womb, I'd spot eyelid folds partially covering your peepers, which already have some color, as well as the tip of your nose and tiny veins beneath parchment-thin skin. Both hemispheres of your brain are growing, and your liver is churning out red blood cells until your bone marrow forms and takes over this role. You also have an appendix and a pancreas, which will eventually produce the hormone insulin to aid in digestion (So...ironically, you will have insulin being made and your mommy won't!). A loop in your growing intestines is bulging into your umbilical cord, which now has distinct blood vessels to carry oxygen and nutrients to and from your tiny body.

First of all, you have a tail?!  Nobody ever told me this one before!  Luckily, it's shrinking as I speak!  But, we'd love you even if it stayed! And WOW!  Can you believe it...already you have eye color at the size of a blueberry!  How does anyone get rid of a pregnancy knowing all of this?  Oh, and speaking of eye color, your Daddy and I found a website to do a genetic analysis for your eye color, using our eye colors and our parents' and siblings' eye colors.  I have blue eyes and your Daddy has green, so if this science is perfect, you have a 30% chance of having blue eyes and a 70% chance of having green!  We're hoping for green like your Daddy's...looks like the odds are in our favor too!

I go to see the Certified Diabetes Nurse Educator (CDE) tomorrow at my Ob-gyn's office (and you're coming with me!).  Kind of looking forward to it - hopefully she knows her stuff like I was used to my old CDE in Peoria knowing her stuff.  She'll take a look over my blood sugars and food intake and tweak any of my basals, insulin-carb ratios or sensitivity factor that I have.  Which is good...I get worried sometimes that I am taking care of you - such precious cargo, like never before - and I'll get a reading in the 200's out of the blue, even doing everything "right" technically.  What is that doing to you?  Especially until after Week 10, since that's when all of your organs are forming.  I tend to worry about this a lot, and I am usually not much of a worrier at all - much more of a go-with-the-flow-er...so this is new territory for me.  I know God's got you...felt that from the beginning...so He's covering me with grace when I need it.  And thank goodness for that!  But, it will be nice to talk to the CDE tomorrow and give her my concerns and see what she says.  The nice doctor last week at our first appointment basically said I was an over-achiever so far with my blood sugar levels (that felt good!)...so that's making me feel better, because the numbers he saw weren't all perfect.  I'm doing my best...that's all I know...but just the same as why it's frustrating when I try so hard and then a weird number comes from nowhere.  I just don't want to hurt you....and I have so much power over that, it's scary sometimes.  I know, I know, God's got you.  I'll just think of you as His little blueberry that He's holding safely in His hands.  =)

No ultrasound this week...so I won't get to see you again until next week.  Kind of sad!  I have no idea how all of this non-high risk prego mommies do it with only a couple ultrasounds/sonograms during their pregnancy!  I get to see you for the second time next week and you will only be eight weeks along!  That's my silver lining to having diabetes and putting so much effort (worry!) into you...at least I get to see you all the time.  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment